Every so often you meet someone who's admirable, inspirational, awesome...and humble. Meet Maura McLean. Like all of our Canadian athletes, Maura pushes herself mercilessly to excel in her chosen sport. For Maura, that's synchronized swimming. Now I'm no expert in the field, but I've been in a nearby pool while the team trained and I can tell you it's a grueling workout. It requires a combination of strength, endurance and grace that few other athletes possess. No joke, it's tough.
So I'm inspired by Maura's athletic prowess of course but also her dedication to the sport. No matter how much you love your sport, It takes sacrifice and guts to get to the level Maura has achieved. Oh, and money too. Coaches, travel costs for competitions and pool facilities require an enormous amount of money. In addition to being a full-time amateur athlete and student, Maura needs to spend a good chunk of time fund-raising to support herself.
That's where you and I come in.
Beach Toyz, a local Stand Up Paddleboard, Bike and Volleyball store, has pledged to donate 5% of all online sales (before taxes) from Dec 3/14 to Jan 2/15 to Maura to help support her training. All you have to do is enter the code "Maura" in the discount code box at checkout. If you do that, Beach Toyz will also give YOU a 5% discount at checkout as an incentive. It's win/win. Go to: shop.beachtoyz.ca and treat yourself to some cool gear and support Maura in the process.
And speaking of winning, remember this is a competitive sport. Maura trains 6 days a week with Areataic Alliance (AREA). AREA is a new high performance, National level Synchonized Swimming club which trains out of the Pan-Am pool in Scarborough ON. They've attracted top level athletes and coaches from across Canada. Maura's goals for 2014-2016 include making the Canadian National Team. We're inspired by her dedication, perseverance and incredible work ethic.
Please, help support Maura by using discount code 'Maura' at checkout - and pass this post along to anyone you know who understands what it takes to be a full time amateur athlete in Canada. Cheers!
• Ontario High Performance Sport Initiative- OHPSI-Junior Academy /Canadian Sport Institute Ontario (CSIO) 2014-2015
• Talent Identified Acceleration Program (TAPP) for identified and exceptional Ontario athletes 2013-2014
• Aretaic Alliance (AREA) Synchronized Swimming Club.- 2013-2014 - current - PAN AM POOL, Scarborough ON
• Variety Village (VVSC) Synchronized Swimming Club -2007-2014
• Canadian National Champion - 12U Solo 2012, 12U Duet 2012, 13-15 Team 2014, 12U Team 2010, 2011
• Awards – Dedication, Excellence (x2), Spirit, Outstanding (x2), Most Promising